Oral Surgery and the Holidays
For many of our patients, oral surgery during the holidays just makes sense. Whether they are enjoying a school break, taking some time off from work or are simply committed to using all of their dental benefits before the end of the year, scheduling oral surgery now will work in their favor.
Post-Oral Surgery Holiday Meal Recommendations
Are you considering oral surgery during the holidays but are sad about missing out on the abundance of delicious food that is typically served only once a year? Will you be relegated to sipping chicken broth and gumming Cream of Wheat while others celebrate with the usual cornucopia of holiday fare? What will you eat while you are recovering from oral surgery?
While you can still roast chestnuts over an open fire, we definitely do not recommend eating this yuletide tradition. But, rest assured that there are plenty of holiday dishes that you can enjoy while you are healing! Some of our favorite suggestions are:
- Turkey and ham – either ground or served in very small bites
- Mashed potatoes with delicious savory gravy
- Sweet potatoes topped with toasted, gooey marshmallows
- Traditional cornbread dressing
- Classic holiday casseroles such as Cheesy Broccoli Rice, Southern Squash Casserole or Mac ‘n Cheese
- Cranberry sauce either homemade or straight from the can
- Soft breads, muffins and butter
- Eggnog, Peppermint Milk Shakes and Banana Smoothies. Remember to drink from the glass. Don’t use a straw.
- Cheesecake, Key Lime Pie, Buttermilk Pie, Soufflés and Cake
In most cases, such as wisdom teeth extractions or dental implant placement, oral surgery shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying your holidays. We urge you to use caution and good judgement when selecting your foods. Follow your doctor’s post-surgical instructions regarding care and cleaning. And, we encourage our patients to call their doctor’s office with any questions or concerns.
Contact us today if you are considering oral surgery before the end of 2017. Visit our website to find a Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery office that is most convenient for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.