Choosing the Right Dental Specialist
We all are aware of what an important role our dentist plays in our overall oral health. He or she is your “go-to” clinician for routine procedures that include teeth cleanings, cavity fillings, sealants, crowns and other restorations. To become a dentist, each has completed a post-graduate, four-year doctorate degree in dentistry. For conditions that fall outside the scope of their training, a general dentist will generally refer patients and coordinate treatment with a specialist. In some cases, however, a general dentist will try to do it all. Before agreeing to let your general dentist to perform procedures that might be better left to a specialist, find out a few things:
- Does your general dentist rightfully possess the necessary qualifications to perform the prescribed procedure?
- Has your general dentist had post-graduate training to perform the procedure?
- Is there a specialist in your community who specializes in the procedure that has been prescribed?
- Does your general dentist have the right equipment and trained staff to perform the procedure?
- Has your dentist enrolled in legitimate continuing education courses?
- What is the motivation behind offering procedures beyond his or her training?
f you are not comfortable with the answers to the questions above, there are many dental specialists that are properly trained and prepared to treat you:
- Oral Surgeon: Experts in mouth, face and jaw surgery
- Periodontist: Experts in treating periodontal disease (gums)
- Orthodontist: Experts in the treatment of improper bite and crooked teeth
- Pediatric Dentist: Experts dedicated to the oral health of children from infancy through 16 years old
- Prosthodontist: Experts in the esthetic restoration and replacement of teeth
When your general dentist refers you to a specialist, you can feel confident that he/she has your best interest at heart and appreciates the expertise of a specialist. Before agreeing to advanced dental procedures in your general dentist’s office, consider consulting with a specialist for peace of mind and confidence for a successful outcome. Contact us today.