Wisdom-teeth removal (or an other oral surgery) during the holidays just makes sense. Why? Mainly because you have time off from work and/or school, but there are a few other reasons too. Scheduling your oral surgery over the holidays can definitely work in your favor, even if it's only to use all of your dental benefits before the end of the year.
Are you considering oral surgery, but don't want to schedule it during the holidays because you're worried about missing out on the abundance of delicious food that's served only once a year? Fear not, you festive — you won't be restricted to sipping chicken broth and eating oatmeal while others celebrate with the usual cornucopia of holiday food. While we don't recommend eating chestnuts, there are plenty of other festive foods you can eat while recovering from oral surgery.
Here are some of our favorite post-surgery holiday food suggestions:
- Turkey and ham — either ground or served in very small bites
- Mashed potatoes with delicious savory gravy
- Sweet potatoes topped with toasted, gooey marshmallows
- Traditional stuffing/dressing
- Classic holiday casseroles such as Cheesy Broccoli Rice, Southern Squash Casserole or Mac ‘n Cheese
- Cranberry sauce, either homemade or straight from the can
- Soft breads, muffins and butter
- Eggnog, hot chocolate, peppermint milkshakes, banana smoothies, white chocolate mochas and more. Just remember — drink straight from the glass — DO NOT use a straw!
- Nut-free pies, soufflés, cakes and ice cream
In most cases, such as wisdom-teeth extractions or dental-implant placement, oral surgery shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying your holidays. We urge you to use caution and good judgment when selecting your foods. Follow your doctor’s post-surgical instructions regarding care and cleaning. Last but not least, always remember that we encourage our patients to call us with any questions or concerns, so please don't hesitate to reach out.
Contact us today if you're considering oral surgery before the end of 2018. Visit our website to find a Northwest Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery office that is most convenient for you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.